Old January 12th 04, 03:35 PM
Jose Jiminez

Default OpenGL failed to initialize -- Problem Solved!!! well kind of solved.

I posted the following info in mid December.

Hi.
I'm running Windows XP Home on a Gateway system.
P4 1.8 Ghz
512 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 AGP 64 MB with the latest (as of yesterday) NVIDIA drivers.

My apps that use OpenGL will not recognize nor initialize OpenGL.

SiSoftware Sandra OpenGL module says:

Error E300: Failed to initialise OpenGL

I tried many things including repairing my Windows installation, using
the original drivers for the video card (as well as others that I
downloaded from the Nvidia driver archive), changing resolutions, etc.
I DIDN'T FORMAT AND DO A FRESH INSTALL!!
I do have the latest Nvidia drivers installed, now.

Then I discovered something very interesting. Read ahead.

I have 2 user accounts set up on my PC.
My son and I each have our own desktop.

When I boot up the computer and log onto either desktop, I have
problems with Opengl. Apps that need Opengl won't run and SiSoftware
Sandra OpenGL module says, "Opengl failed to initialise".

Now then, if I simply log off the user account and log back onto it or
onto the other user account, voila!

Opengl works properly!!!

I'm totally clueless as to why this happens. If I restart the
computer, I have to do the "log on, log off" thing to get Opengl
running right.

It's a minor inconvenience to have to do this, but now we can run the
games and apps that weren't working.

I know that I saw some posts in this group regarding the same problem
that I have. If any of the affected posters read this and try the
solution that I am using, I'd be interested in hearing from you with
your take on the problem and whether you were able to get the same
results that I did.

Anyone having an explanation why my solution works for me? I'd like to
hear it.

Peace.
Jose