Old August 1st 05, 08:08 PM
kony

On 1 Aug 2005 09:48:32 -0700, "Random Person"
wrote:

Hi. Twice today one of my older drives, a Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM
Diamondmax Plus 9 hard drive took about 15 seconds to read/write data.
This is the first time it has taken so long to access data.

Check your Windows Event Viewer logs.
Check drive power connector, and both ends of the cables.
Replace the cable if you have a spare, or at least make sure
it's pugged in good.

The first time was when I was saving a spreadsheet to it. Excel stopped
responding for about 15 seconds, then everything went back to normal.

The second time happened at the Command Prompt, I was doing a "dir" and
it also froze for a while.

Should I start making a recent backup of my data right now?

Yes that would be good, better safe than sorry.

I've downloaded the Powermax bootable ISO and will run a diagnostic
tonight...

Best to make the backup first, before ANY further use of the
system. A failure can get worse slowly or rather quickly.
One should always treat their drive use as if it's the last
file they'll ever be able to copy off, once there's an
observed problem.

Incidentally this is a replacement drive for a previous 80GB Maxtor,
which died due to SMART failure and the 'click of death'...

If it got replaced about 2 years ago will my warranty still be valid?

Their drives have a 1 year warranty on most versions.
I think your drives are overheating, and they shouldn't have
been ran like that at all.

Realize that just because somone makes a case in any
particular configuration, that doesn't make the case fit for
use. Perhaps more fit with old/slow low-heat parts but even
on an old system the case you pictured previously wouldn't
be good for cooling.

You don't meniton your power supply but if it's less than
~400W (Antec?) then it's probably not sufficient for the
parts you listed.