Old August 1st 05, 07:01 PM

On 1 Aug 2005 09:48:32 -0700, "Random Person"
wrote:

Hi. Twice today one of my older drives, a Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM
Diamondmax Plus 9 hard drive took about 15 seconds to read/write data.
This is the first time it has taken so long to access data.

The first time was when I was saving a spreadsheet to it. Excel stopped
responding for about 15 seconds, then everything went back to normal.

The second time happened at the Command Prompt, I was doing a "dir" and
it also froze for a while.

Should I start making a recent backup of my data right now?

I've downloaded the Powermax bootable ISO and will run a diagnostic
tonight...

Incidentally this is a replacement drive for a previous 80GB Maxtor,
which died due to SMART failure and the 'click of death'...

If it got replaced about 2 years ago will my warranty still be valid?

Depends on how long your warranty is. Who knows you may be buying a
bad model or doing something weird like not running it cool enough. Of
course theres going to be the usual - its maxtor thats why. And
frankly like I said , I personally havent had any maxtors fail in an
unusually short time yet. My WD was a bit flakey clicking right after
I got it but after doing a low level format its actually been fine.
Also 2 years is a fair amount of time. I expect them to last for a
while but 2 years isnt super short. I have a 6 gig maxtor I still
have that runs and that must be eons old. I have it sitting around
but hook it up once in while when I need a clean WIN XP PRO install to
test. Actually I have neighbors and friends Ive installed mostly
Maxtors cause thats what they sold at COMPUSA on sale and they range
from 40gigs-80 gig and some are 1-4 yrs old and and believe it or not
, none of them have died. Ive taken ancient ones out of PCs ---
different makes , I scavenged from PCs thrown away I used on builds I
made for some not very well off people and they all run too ! I think
the one in a neighbors came from his original PC though he has a newer
one too - but thats about 3 yrs old and the other is ancient , a
maxtor. Only one HD actually became unfunctional that was a WD 80 gig
but it spins. Im still convinced it was locked somehow though I could
be way off base.

Sure I would back it up and run diag. Who knows though it could be
anything. When I had a bad stick of mem my PC ran really weird. Also
some companies give refurbs as replacements so it may not have been as
good as new. All my WDs and maxtors have a 1 year warranty nowadays.
Only my seagate has 5.