Old December 22nd 08, 10:11 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

Default Help usb win98

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 06:25:09 -0800 (PST), ReconRyan
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have an older Gateway running win98 and wanted eventually to get a
usb drive to save files for a new computer. I have installed a 4 port
usb hub but nothing I plug into it works. It seems like the computer
does not recognise it. What can I do to get it operational ?

Plug it in, and then interrogate it using Usbview or UVCView:

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB_IDs/usbview.exe
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/USB...VCView.x86.exe

The Vendor and Product IDs will identify the manufacturer of the
device or its chipset.

If your device isn't detected, then loading drivers won't help.

- Franc Zabkar