Old August 21st 03, 09:18 PM
Mike S.

In article , Mike Richter wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
In article , scchui
wrote:

Hi,

I see some shops selling CD copy tower. They can duplicate CDs
without computer. I wonder if I can build it my self. Can anyone
give some opinion on this?

You need the circuit board containing the controller that "runs" the
show ... otherwise it's just two drives in a box. It isn't a
component normally sold off the shelf, though I have seen a couple of
do-it-yourself duplicator kits at computer flea markets.

I'd probly be cheaper, and more flexible, to devote a cheap PC to the
task.

He also needs to write the software to run the processor - a much bigger
task. After all, a processor board is very inexpensive even including
the EIDE controller and other hardware. Then there's the keyboard to
tell it what to do and the display to show what it's doing ...

If he buys a do-it-yourself standalone duplicator kit he does not have to
write software. You just buy the box and add drives.

The controller board is plug-and-play and has its own drive control
firmware. There are several players in this market, mainly for OEM's ...
such as Domex (www.domex.com.tw) ... a company we knew in the 80's and
early 90's as DTC (Data Technology Corporation) ... maker of drive
controllers that competed with Western Digital's.