Old January 12th 04, 04:15 AM
Timothy Daniels

"Rod Speed" wrote:
"Timothy Daniels" wrot
.......do the cloning again, but
shut down and disconnect the old hard drive before booting
up with the new copy. As our beloved R. Speed said, that
hiding of the old OS is *crucial*.

Different symptoms tho. If you dont do that, it should boot fine,
and only have a problem when the old drive is disconnected
because the boot will use stuff off both drives.

With Drive Image 2002, I don't get a bootable drive on
the new disk if I don't disconnect the old disk before the 1st
bootup. All the files and the file structure are there except
for (I guess) the master boot record. It's great for archiving
files, but not for making a bootable backup system or a
replacement system.

As for changing around the jumpers - that may not
really be necessary unless you move the new HD
to the end of the cable and remove the old HD.

Thats comprehensively mangled too. You can EITHER
use master/slave jumpers in which case the connector
used is irrelevant, OR you can jumper the drives for
cable select, use a cable select cable, which any new
cable 80 conductor cable should be, and THEN the drive
priority is determined by the connector its plugged into.

If one disconnects just the power plug from the old drive,
leaving the data plug connected to the disk drive to prevent
signal reflections, I believe the new drive may be left jumpered
as Slave and left at the intermediate connector and it will
boot up despite not being Master and not being at the end
connector. (I haven't yet tried this.) As I understand Master/
Slave, though, it is to implement data collision avoidance at the
IDE channel level, and the rest of the system just sees 2 drives
without any reference to Master/Slave attributes. Thus my
comment about the jumpering not mattering for the solo first
bootup of the new drive.

With Windows XP, if you re-connect the old HD, the OS
will detect the other OS at some point and exercise its
multi-boot capability, giving you the option of choosing
the old OS or the new OS to boot up each boot time.

Thats utterly mangled in spades. It wont automatically
setup an auto boot config if you say install XP on a
drive, and then plug in say a bootable SE drive. You
have to have the SE drive visible at install time for
XP to automatically include the multiboot capabilty.

My comments, and this thread, are about the 2 WinXP
systems which result from the cloning of a WinXP system.
In my experience in using Drive Image 2002 to clone a
Windows XP Pro drive I've been unable to *avoid*
generating a dual-boot option. What I get repeatedly is
a boot.ini file which names both WinXP OSes as options
for a dual boot. At some point, I don't know exactly when,
the 2nd WinXP is seen by the first, and the dual boot option
is implemented. I have to go back into the boot.ini files in
both OSes and comment out the 2nd WinXP name (by
surrounding it with square brackets) to avoid the dual boot
option dialog each time I boot one or the other drive.

There isnt any easy way to add multiboot capability
later, after the install. It can be done, but not auto.

And XP wont automatically setup multiboots between
a number of XP installs on different drives either.

As I said, I can't *avoid* it. That's pretty much auto.

You can either use this feature

There is no such 'feature'

You coulda fooled *me*!

or you can adjust the OS names list in the OS's boot.ini
files (making 2 single-boot systems) and select the OS
to boot by changing the boot sequence list in the BIOS.

And you can tell XP to scan for other installed OSs and setup
a multiboot for that, but not between multiple installs of XP.

I didn't mention multiple installs. I've been referring to
cloning of a WinXP OS from one drive to another.

If you choose the multi-boot feature, it helps to change the
OS names in the boot.ini files to something like "WinXP old"
and WinXP new" to help you in selecting the right OS to boot up.

And a multiboot config with multiple XP boots has to be setup
manually by manually edititing boot.ini anyway, quite apart from
the naming.

Somehow the multi-boot feature gets enabled everytime I clone
my WinXP system.

It also helps to put a folder on the desktop having
a name which indicates which OS is running or to
select a desktop background to indicate that.

And he doesnt even want multibooting between XP installs anyway.

Neither do I, but somehow the cloning of WinXP gives it to me.

*TimDaniels*