Old July 10th 06, 08:34 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Buck Fush

Default Do ATI video cards handle heat better than NVIDIA video cards?

The general answer to your question is no. Of course there are
some exceptions, but heat is more of an issue with ATI's recent
models than Nvidia.

If you're getting heat-related failures (e.g. your dots in Doom3)
across multiple cards you either have incredibly bad luck, or
more likely you have some general issues with system cooling
(not enough airflow through your systems, high ambient room
temperatures, dust accumulation in your fans etc).

wrote in message et...
Hello.

I had three NVIDIA cards (e.g., GeForce 4 Ti4200 and two GeForce 6800s) lose video signal in two
different machines (different hardwares and operating systems). I noticed after rebooting
computers, I still get no video signals according to CRT monitors (e.g., Samsung SyncMaster 17"
CRTs). I have seen this on two different machines, multiple video cards (different brands too:
LeadTek (once) and XFX (twice)), and operating systems (Widnows XP Pro. SP2 and Debian/Linux with
the latest NVIDIA drivers) and similiar symptoms. Also, it doesn't have to be in intensive uses
(e.g., gaming or using 3D screen savers) like playing a video file (MPEG-2) or watching a
HomeStarRunner's Flash.

Rebooting the computers resulted no boot ups (video signal loss, motherboard just stuck at boot
up, etc.). However, if I turn off machines and their PSUs to rest and cool off, most likely they
do come back to life.

I have not seen this problem with ATI video card (Radeon Pro 9800 All-In-Wonder) so far for the
last three years I used it. Is it me or are ATI cards better in dealing with heat? The only issues
I had with ATI is weak Linux support, dots in DOOM 3 (didn't crash my Windows/computer/lose video
signal) but fixed with an Artic cooler, weak softwares (bugs), etc.?

Thank you in advance.
--
"Above ground I shall be food for kites; below I shall be food for mole-crickets and ants. Why rob one to feed the

other?" --Juang-zu (4th Century B.C.)
/\___/\
( )