Old February 15th 06, 03:18 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Seagate Barracuda 160 GB IDE becomes corrupted. RMA?

It is NOT a hardware problem. It is NTFS corruption.
You didn't enable Win 2K large (137GB) drive support in the registry,
and NTFS wrote past 137G which wiped the MBR and boot sector.

"Dan_Musicant" wrote in message
Part number: ST3160023A-RK

Bought 08/13/2004 online at outpost.com, and it still has almost 4 years
on the warranty. I've never lost a HD before, although I RMA'd one that
was getting bad sectors 6 months after purchase. I've had over 10 HDD's.
This was working perfectly, AFAIK and suddenly a couple of days ago
Windows 2000 doesn't see the drive (Explorer). Disk Management shows it
online but unformatted. So, I suppose the partition table became
corrupted. Is this an automatic RMA? Can it be assumed that it's a
hardware issue? Is it possible for me to retrieve the data somehow? Or
is that an expensive and/or iffy proposition? Of the 3 HDD's in the
system, this was the most expendable in terms of the data. In that I was
extremely lucky. I used it mainly for backup and temporary work.

Thanks for any info.

Dan