Old October 7th 05, 07:51 PM
Phil Weldon

'Alfie [UK]' wrote, in part:
| The OP was advised it may be a problem with power supply because of the
| shutdowns. Most new graphics card need 1 or 2 direct power connections
| and this means a 300w PSU just won't cut it anymore.
_____

Your statement 'Most new graphics card need 1 or 2 direct power connections
and this means a 300w PSU just won't cut it anymore.' isn't necessarily
true; a 300 watt PSU may very will be completely adequate.

Your statement 'if you have a too high rated PSU and are not drawing a
significant power level the PSU can shutdown, act erratically, or blow it's
12v rails through 'overheating' is not at all true.

Your statement| 'You want at least 20% more power coming out of your PSU
than the calculator says you need to be safe from the typical fluctuations
you can get in a PSU, especially cheaper PSUs that might not have a stable
power profile.' makes no sense at all.

Your statement 'Over 65% more power means you are at risk of damaging your
PSU through 'overheating' as it's generating a lot more power than you
need.' is ludicrous.

Try a read of
http://www.formfactors.org/developer...0Ratified.pdff
and
http://www.formfactors.org/developer...public_br2.pdf
..
Pay particular attention to:
"System power supply needs vary widely depending on factors such as the
application (that is, for desktop, workstation, or server), intended ambient
environment (temperature, line voltage), or motherboard power requirements."

Phil Weldon

"Alfie [UK]" wrote in message
| On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:13:06 GMT, Al Kaufmann
| wrote:
| On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 09:05:26 +0200, "fanni001"
| wrote:
|
| As luck would have it I bought a new mouse (Logtech G5) and installed
| the Far Cry demo to give it a try. The mouse acted very strangely and
| slowed down many times. I played around with the mouse a bit but I
| could not get this game to work properly. Since the mouse works as
| advertised with other games like Unreal Tournament I blamed Far Cry
| and uninstalled it.
|
| If the problem I am having with Far Cry is caused by my power supply -
| why does this game need so much power? Also what is the recommended
| power supply?

If you draw too

http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/