Old October 7th 05, 07:24 PM
Alfie [UK]

On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 15:13:06 GMT, Al Kaufmann
wrote:
On Fri, 7 Oct 2005 09:05:26 +0200, "fanni001"
wrote:

As luck would have it I bought a new mouse (Logtech G5) and installed
the Far Cry demo to give it a try. The mouse acted very strangely and
slowed down many times. I played around with the mouse a bit but I
could not get this game to work properly. Since the mouse works as
advertised with other games like Unreal Tournament I blamed Far Cry
and uninstalled it.

If the problem I am having with Far Cry is caused by my power supply -
why does this game need so much power? Also what is the recommended
power supply?

The OP was advised it may be a problem with power supply because of the
shutdowns. Most new graphics card need 1 or 2 direct power connections
and this means a 300w PSU just won't cut it anymore. If you draw too
much power the PSU will shutdown to stop it burning out. Equally if you
have a too high rated PSU and are not drawing a significant power level
the PSU can shutdown, act erratically, or blow it's 12v rails through
'overheating'. This is more of a problem with the cheaper PSUs as they
do not have such a stable output.

A good test is to use this calculator to see if you have an appropriate
level of power; http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

You want at least 20% more power coming out of your PSU than the
calculator says you need to be safe from the typical fluctuations you
can get in a PSU, especially cheaper PSUs that might not have a stable
power profile. Over 65% more power means you are at risk of damaging
your PSU through 'overheating' as it's generating a lot more power than
you need.

With regard to your problems with FarCry, do you have the Logitech
drivers installed as some drivers are known to be flakey (and usually
only with some software which makes you scratch your head as to whether
it's the software or the drivers causing the problem) ?
--
Alfie
http://www.delphia.co.uk/