Old March 14th 04, 05:58 PM
Augustus

So far I'm not sure that I'm thrilled with the Zalman, and I'm wondering
if
I installed it poorly, or I just was expecting too much...

I'm not too familiar with the Zalman, but I had recently built a new system
with a Barton 2500 and Vantec Aeroflow on an NForce2 board. Ran fine, but
was not impressed with the temps I was getting (45 Idle, 60-70 load) and it
would not overclock to even XP2800+ levels without severe instability. I
ordered some AS5 and when it got here, I removed the Vantec to apply it.
This is when I found out that you can install a hs/f assembly backwards! The
CPU had been mating up with the aluminum base, and the copper core was not
even touching the CPU. Applied AS5, installed the Vantech the right way
round, and Boom! Idle temp 38C, max load 44C, rock stable running at 2200MHz
(XP3200+ spec). Don't know if this might apply to you, but at the very least
I'd yank that hs/f assembly off to check for proper contact and AS5
reapplication.