Old August 23rd 04, 12:47 PM
P.T. Breuer

In comp.sys.laptops plated metal wrote:
Dan Koren wrote:

Maybe, but why bother?

The Tosh MK-5024GAY are cheaper than the
IBM/Hitachi E7K60. They are also quieter.

"Quieter" is a mute point (no pun intended).

You mean "moot":

moot
adj 1: open to debate [syn: {disputed}]
2: capable of being disproved [syn: {debatable}, {disputable}]
v: think about carefully; weigh; "They considered the
possibility of a strike" [syn: {consider}, {debate}, {turn
over}, {deliberate}]

So I think you must have _intended_ a pun, and failed somewhere along
the line.

Most drives start out life
pretty quiet, but get a helluva lot louder after a few months (a year

!! Well, it's likely that a failing drive will be noisy, or even that
a drive slowly swapping outmore and more bad sectors will be physically
jumping the heads from point to point more and more, which makes more
noise, but to say "most drives" do that within the lifetime of the
laptop would be out of order. I've owned something like 7 laptops over
the years (started with a 386sx50), and all of them still work, and
none of them make any more noise than they ever did that I can notice!

Now, noisy scsi barracuda drive on servers is something else ...

Peter