Old August 11th 04, 08:13 PM
kony

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 10:25:10 +0100, "Guy Smith"
wrote:

I am looking into upgrading my son's PC.
How do I identify which new motherboard will fit into the existing tower
please?

Determine form-factor of that tower case, for example: AT, ATX,
mATX (micro ATX), are the most common.

Additionally if it's very old you would need to consider the type
of power supply, and futher it's capacity... odds are high that
it has insufficient capacity, and due to age it might not be
suitable for a system rebuild regardless of it's capacity.

If you posted concise overview of system components it might be
useful. For example:

Case- make/model, or if OEM, the model name.

motherboard - make/model

CPU - make/model/speed

The more of the above info you can provide, the easier it would
be to determine the form-factor and potential for supporting
newer parts. Also an older case may have insufficient airflow
for modern higher-heat parts, it could be necessary to modify the
case or buy a new case. If buying a new case it could be
cost-effective to buy one that included a _name-brand_ power
supply of ample capacity, which for today's typicaly system would
be about 350W, or higher for more demanding configuration like
high-end video card or a lot of hard drives.