Old April 17th 04, 05:00 AM
hupjack

Default fast cdrw media for my 52/32/52 lite on and I've got macs with 10x cdrws

I just put a lite-on LTR-52327S in my new computer
http://www.liteonamericas.com/us/CDRW_ltr52327s.htm
A drive I'm sure everybody here is familiar with.

My parents also have 2 beautiful Macs in the house"
One 15" Flat Panel iMac -
http://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_...L17637C_EN.pdf
and one Quicksilver G4 tower -
http://manuals.info.apple.com/Apple_...L18299B_EN.pdf

Both of those Macs have, not the dvd combo drives, but rather the internal
CDR/RW 24/10/32 drives.
I'm looking at faster media than the 4x disc I've been using for use with my
lite-on drive.

I'm pretty sure I read that the 32x Ultra Speed Verbatim media can be read,
but not written or erased, by anything but a 32x RW drive.

the fast media I've spotted:
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10358027 - the 32x Verbatim Ultra
Speed
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10332676 - 16x - 24x Verbatim
Ultra Speed
http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?pn=848559 - larger spool of 16x -
24x Verbatim Ultra Speed

I'd like a couple fast CDRWs to use with my Lite-On, but my dad would also
like some fast media that works with the Mac cdrw drives. Is the 16x-24x
media flexible such that it would work with the 10x CDRW drives in our Macs
or do I really need to limit the media I write with the Macs to something
like this 10x Memorex stuff?
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10311324
I also see an attractive 4x-12x option sold under the HP brand name -
http://tinyurl.com/2qp5f
and 4x-12x media carrying the same Verbatim Ultra Speed branding as the
higher speed stuff - http://tinyurl.com/2udhb

PS: before I get a lecture on this.... I know that CDRWs are for short term
data storage. If I ever do any archival stuff I'd use CDRs of course... but
when I'm running off to a friend's house with some downloaded video clips of
the Chappelle Show, I want to burn them onto a CDRW quickly, not have a CDR
permanently burned with the episode that I want to watch once. I also find
myself helping out a lot of folk with computer problems, and it's nice to be
able to quickly burn a CDRW with some of the latest software that I'd be
setting them up with after I format their messed up machine.

So I have legit uses for fast CDRW media, now I just need some help figuring
out what media to get. I'm perfectly happy getting two types of discs, some
4x-12x for the Macs and some 32x for my lite-on drive. Or I'd be happy to
get some 16x-24x for my lite-on drive if the 32x isn't reliable. With the
price being identical, I've got to assume the 32x would work just as
reliably as the 16x-24x in my lite-on and I should grab the 32x.. Am I
making a good assumption?

is 32x media for my lite on and 4x -12x for the Macs the right way to go?

--
To e-mail me, replace "_nospamtoday_" with the "@" symbol when replying to
my address.