Old November 30th 20, 04:07 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

Default Printer's IP address

On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 19:04:08 +0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder wrote:

OK. I scroll down to find the printer, which doesn't show up "as" a
printer, but I happen to already know its IP address, where it says:
o IP = 192.168.0.20
o Ping = 2ms
o Hostname = [n/a]
o Ports[3+] = 80

I think, perchance, the ipscan lied to me.
o Or maybe it's just the wrong tool to find the printer's ports

Note that it turns out HP printers use, by default, port 9100.
o So the question is why didn't port 9100 show up in the scan?

This is a quick test of port 9100 on my printer over the LAN:
o telnet 192.168.0.20 9100 (connects, but I can't talk printer protocol)
o telnet 192.168.0.20 9200 (fails, I chose that port arbitrarily to test)

So my HP LJ 2100tn is listening on port 9100.
o But then, why didn't the ipscan show that to be the fact?

I doublechecked the automatically set settings in Android LetsPrintDroid:
o https://i.postimg.cc/L5Pfd7xc/printing14.jpg

Notice they _also_ confirm LPD automatically chose port 9100.
o https://i.postimg.cc/bYS12Dqm/printing15.jpg

Does anyone know why the ipscan didn't catch that HP's use port 9100?
--
Usenet pools our collective experience with people around the world.