Old November 28th 20, 09:15 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
AnthonyL

Default Printer's IP address

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 18:08:54 -0000 (UTC), Arlen Holder
wrote:

On Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:34:10 GMT, AnthonyL wrote:

I've never printed from my Android but I've just switched my Epson
X)-6005 on which is connected to my WiFi (and a direct USB to my
notebook).

Hi AnthonyL,

Thanks for that purposefully helpful advice, where you'll find a lot more
information about this problem set over here, in comp.mobile.android:
o How do you print from Android to your home networked printer on your LAN?
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/nTAYljkvVl4

While I am ecstatic that printing works so easily for you with your Epson
XP-6005 printer, you have a completely different setup, I think, and that
matters a lot (unfortunately for me).
o EXPRESSION PREMIUM XP-6005 Wi-Fi all-in-one
https://www.epson.de/en/products/printers/inkjet-printers/for-home/expression-premium-xp-6005

My printer is an HP LaserJet 2100tn (which has an Ethernet card):
a. Mine is not wi-fi enabled

Shouldn't matter - see c.

b. Mine is not hooked up to a PC via USB (or anything other than a router)

That was just a comment. On the PC I can print wirelessly or direct.
Direct (USB) is quicker. The PC is not used as a shared printer so
anything else prints over the LAN

c. Mine is hooked directly to the router via Ethernet

Shouldn't matter whether it is Ethernet (not tried) or WiFi providing
you are on the same LAN.

While even with my setup it's easy to print if I use the "cloud" as the
printer driver, the goal is to print using our own LAN.

Ah! HP. Good fun. Took ages for me to get my neighbours printing from
her iPad to her HP wirelessly. HP wanted to go through the cloud and
back via an email. The instructions appeared to me to be as clear as
mud.

In the end it required the installation of the HP app onto the iPad
then it worked providing it was initiated by the iPad. (The Mac
allows scanning to be initiated by the printer).

I am exploring _some_ solutions (many of which are from F-Droid), as the
whole goal is to come up with a solution that not only benefits me, but,
that benefits everyone else at the same time (who has the same problem).

One issue I have in debugging is understanding the role of:
a. Where is the "printer driver" when printing from Android?
b. Who is the "printer server" when printing from Android?

I don't know, and thus far for me it doesn't seem to matter.

Those two questions are ones I never thought about until I needed to debug
why it's so simple to print from Windows over the LAN, but not Android.

When I run a Port scanner on my Epson IP I get quite a list of Open
Ports, more than I expected. Epson have a page showing the Open Ports
and what each does (well all except 139 which of course is necessary
for SMB/Netbios and I don't know why they didn't show that in the
chart). Anyway all the Open Ports correlate to and an item on that
page.

If Port Scanner can see your printer and Open Ports then there must be
some other issue. If it can't then there you have to diagnose whether
it can't see the IP, can't see the Ports etc. That may be down to a
router/firewall setting perhaps?

Sorry I've not looked at the other threads - too much going on for me
to sift through. And I'm not an expert though I generally manage to
get things working for friends and family.

Just an addition, I have no problem printing over the LAN from my
Linux install either. so Windows, Android and Linux all ok.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?