Old November 6th 20, 01:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default problem with audio - question

Yes wrote:

Thank you. I was falling asleep when I read your post, so am just now
responding when I can be more coherent :-)

If I understand you right, then the problem lies with the pc hardware.
When I built this pc, I went with a minimalist build. I chose the mobo
because of the add-on graphics chip and audio capability. I could use
an HDMI cable to connect the pc to my TV and use the TV (with its
built-in speakers) to watch stuff. As reported, the TV sounds fine and
the images displayed look good. Nor does the display of the video from
the pc on the TV show any problems like you mentioned.

I'm trying to understand my options at this point with the proviso that
I want to be able to listen to the content, not just watch it :-) It
seems they a
1. replace the mobo itself
2. replace the pc build with perhaps a pre-built desktop or laptop
3. work around the existing problem on the mobo by adding a discrete
graphics card

If I try option 3, is that just wishful thinking on my part? I'm not
very interested in it if all it means is that I'm just kicking the can
down the road wasting my time and money on something that will
resurface.

John

Asus B150-M-A

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboa...Desk_Download/

VGA

Version 21.20.16.4542 2016/12/14 236.15 MBytes

Intel_Graphics_Accelerator_Driver
support win7_64/Win8.1_64/Win10_64

That has INTCDAud in it, the digital audio for "Intel GPU HDMI sound".

You might also want to test the TV set, with a known-working
HDMI source. Say, a BD settop player with HDMI output, could
be used to test the TV Audio.

And that's if you're using the HDMI connector on the
motherboard I/O plate area.

*******

The PC I'm on here, has a $20 pair of stereo computer speakers
(115VAC powered), rocking 2W of audio output. That's plugged
into the green connector on the back of the PC. And that
has provided years of faithful service (once I took it apart
and repaired a cold solder joint on the speaker PCB).

My other PC, has a home-made amp (rocking about 2W of usable
power), and a pair of bookshelf speakers for output.

No fancy HDMI for me. No sound bar. No Dolby ATMOS.

Paul