Old July 19th 03, 11:36 PM
Taliesyn

Brendan R. Wehrung wrote:
The new issue of PC Magazine has ratings on printer brands and they give
Lexmark products almost an across the board "E", awarding HP an A+.

I don't know if it deserves a mark as low as an "E". Let's see... My Z55
prints half decent text; individual pages hard to load (can't just drop
them in); noisy machine; very basic, rugged construction; primitive
software with few print options; colour cartridge holds very little ink,
black satisfactory; photos too washed out (no contrast); although
cartridges never clog, cost of new ones is prohibitive. Okay,
unsatisfactory by my standards as my main printer. I'll give it a "C".
But when I look at what I got for $200 (CDN) versus the $229 for a Canon
i850, less than a year later, I have no choice but to give it an "E".
It's not even in the same league.

I write this as a satisfied Lexmark user, aside from the cost of ink--but
I don't print that much that I use more than two sets of carts a year.

Has Lexmark quality declined since I bought my Z52, or is there a vast
audience of unsatisfied users out there? I seem to remember a *lot* more
complaints about HP than Lexmeark here, although this will reflect that a
lot more HP printers are sold.

I've bought a Z65 against the purchase of my next computer (I'll keep my
present one as a fully-equipped backup) and wonder if I should have.

Brendan