Old January 21st 20, 11:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Windows 7 x64 Ultimate edition hangs during PCI to PCI bridge

On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 2:12:21 AM UTC+1, Paul wrote:
wrote:
I am gonna try this:

https://www.pci-z.com/

A pci scanning tool.

Not sure if this will also detect PCI bridges and such.. hmm might be wrong tool for the job..

Maybe I need chipset scanning tool like

Chipset-Z or something =D

Bye for now,
Skybuck.

PCI bridges are normally resolved by in-box drivers.
When a "chipset driver" is provided by the user installing
such, it just puts an entry in Device Manager as a text
string, and the driver is likely to be in-box. As
long as bridges are standards compliant and use all
the right registers, they should be resolved at
startup. The OS needs this capability, as otherwise it
would not be able to scan the busses on the other side
for "New Hardware".

Paul

I am facing a few problems with that:

1. There are multiple PCI to PCI bridges ?!?

Which one is causing the problem ?

It seems these PCI things are certain forms of communication with devices ? So perhaps there is some PCI device involved ? Not sure if it's just a chip thing or a device thing as well.

2. VMWare tools installed itself after OS installed. I think I left "install vmtools after installation checkbox on" or something. Kinda didn't want this, might have to re-install.

Would be nice to know how to remove or disable these vmware tools inside operating systems.

What I really need is a way to scan the system/software and be able to tell which PCI to PCI bridge is causing the problem ?

It could also be that this is a symptom of another malfunction somewhere.

Meanwhile I investigated the texas instrument thing... fireware and such... there is indeed some chip on the motherboard presumably... but the pins/headers for this fireware are not present on the motherboard, which is kinda odd isn't it ? Why would winfast remove this feature ? Perhaps a defective fireware chip ? Diversify products ? Artificially limit it's capabilities ? Or perhaps prevent confusion between fireware and usb ?

Bye,
Skybuck.