Old October 27th 03, 09:49 AM
iTsMeMa

I'm running a 1.4 tBird on a K7T-LE and best I've ever got was 1562 mHZ or
11X143. I played with voltage, cooling and different ram, all to no avail.
Recently a buddy loaned me his Barton XP2500 to play with.
I was able to run at 12.5 X 152 or 1900 mHZ.
Only change was the cpu, I even ran it under the 1.65 volt recommendation.
I have to agree with Wes, buy an XP chip, they're cheap.
Do yourself a favour and get an XP2100 or higher to take advantage of the
upper multipliers.
I dont believe your board supports the 5th bit.

Regards,

Garry.

"Someone" wrote in message

"Ben Pope" schreef in bericht
| Someone wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I have the following configuration:
| Mobo: MSI K7T266 Pro2
| CPU: AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1400 FSB: 133MHz
| OS: WinXP (home)
| BIOS: AMI v7.00T
| Chipset: VIA KT266/333
| Southbridge: VIA VT8233
|
| In the BIOS I have changed the FSB to 143MHz. This results in a CPU
speed
| of 1500MHz and a "Bus speed" (I guess that's the PCI bus?) of 286MHz.
I've
| found that increasing the FSB further makes the system less stable.
|
| No, 143MHz will be the speed of the FSB, the bus is DDR and so 286M
| transfers per second can happen.
|
| PCI bus should be 33MHz, but depending on your chipset, it could have
risen
| to 33 * (143/133) ~36MHz.

Ok.

| In the BIOS I've also found a setting called clock multiplier which is
set
| to 10.5x It can be increased to (I think) 16x.
|
| I'm wondering if it is possible to increase the CPU speed without loss
of
| stability, but I'm not sure how to do that.
| Any suggestionas are welcome.
|
| Well that would depend on the source of your instability.
|
| Use Memtest86 to test your RAM... if that shows no errors after 2

passes,
| then chances are your instabilty is a result of the CPU or a device on

the
| PCI or AGP bus.

There's nothing wrong with the RAM according to MemTest86.

| I'm not sure how fast the Thunderbird cores can go to, but I'm assuming
your

That was my question.

| Tbird is now running at 143*10.5 = 1500MHz.

Correct.

Above a setting of 143 the system reboots continuously and I have to short
out (read reset) the CMOS to return to the factory settings. But that is

not
the point I'm trying to make here.

What I wanted to know is if (1) it is possible to take the Thunderbird to
speeds above 1500MHz and (2) how to achieve that. I am guessing that the
clock multiplier has something to do with that, but as I have no idea

*what*
it does exactly I'm hesitant to change it. I was hoping someone would say
something like: "take the FSB to xxxMHz then change the clock multiplier

YYx and you have a zzzzMHz system".
At 1500MHz the BIOS reports a CPU temperature of around 60°C.

--
SomeOne