Old October 26th 03, 06:11 PM
Ben Pope

Someone wrote:
Above a setting of 143 the system reboots continuously and I have to short
out (read reset) the CMOS to return to the factory settings. But that is
not the point I'm trying to make here.

Well then it's probably safe to say that you can't go beyond 143.

What I wanted to know is if (1) it is possible to take the Thunderbird to
speeds above 1500MHz and (2) how to achieve that. I am guessing that the
clock multiplier has something to do with that, but as I have no idea
*what* it does exactly I'm hesitant to change it.

143MHz*10.5 = 1500MHz

FSB * Multiplier = CPU speed.

I was hoping someone
would say something like: "take the FSB to xxxMHz then change the clock
multiplier to YYx and you have a zzzzMHz system".
At 1500MHz the BIOS reports a CPU temperature of around 60°C.

Well thats all well and good, but it depends on far too may factors that are
unmeasurable, each system is different.

If you're settled on 143FSB (which it seems you are) then increase the
multiplier a step to 11, giving you 143MHz * 11 = 1573MHz. If you can't
boot with the new multiplier then you're at max. That could be due to
thermal problems, or the transistors not charging fast enough in the chip...
if thats the case, voltage will help, but temps need to be kept under
control as they tend to soar with more voltage. Since you have no idea what
the core temperature is with the old Tbirds, I don't know how you really do
that - I guess by having a safe margin on the socket temp.

Ben