Old October 15th 04, 01:27 PM
George Macdonald

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:23:39 +0100, Franklin wrote:

I came across this. Is the guy right?

QUOTE
Volumes have been written on this subject, but suffice to say that
Intel chipsets are the most stable. I do not know if this is because
Intel does a better job at manufacturing their chipsets than other
companies, or that software manufacturers test their software more
thoroughly on Intel-based systems, since they are more popular ..
more than they do on systems based upon non-Intel chipsets. Or a
combination of these factors.

Either way, a system based on an Intel chipset will provide you with
the most stable computing experience. This is common knowledge in the
community. Everyone knows it.
END QUOTE

http://radified.com/Articles/stability.htm

Oh gawd, where's my Nomex underpants?

Over the years, the above quote has been true ON *and* OFF and with notable
exceptions. It may still hold right now, somewhat, for an Intel CPU but I
haven't used an Intel chipset mbrd for 5years now, the last being an Asus
P3B-F and that, i440BX, *was* one of Intel's best ever chipsets. In the
meantime, we've had i820/840, i815 and i845... all of which were lacking in
some way or another. With i865/875 they seemed to get back on track again
but now, with i915/925, they're trying to play market segmentation again
and it *will* backfire on them.

Right now, an AMD CPU on an AMD or nVidia nForce chipset will give just as
much of an err, "stable computing experience" as any Intel CPU+chipset and
add some functionality and future-proof into the bargain. "Common
knowledge" needs to be updated... or the "community" needs to umm, move
along!shrug

Rgds, George Macdonald