Old December 22nd 06, 02:15 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
Guy Dawson

Default A few questions before assembling Linux 7.5TB RAID 5 array

Yeechang Lee wrote:
I'm shortly going to be setting up a Linux software RAID 5 array using
16 500GB SATA drives with one HighPoint RocketRAID 2240 PCI-X
controller (i.e., the controller will be used for its 16 SATA ports,
not its "hardware" fakeraid).

How long are you expecting a rebuild to take in the event of a
disk failure? You may well be better off creating a bunch of smaller
5 disk RAID5 arrays rather than one big one.

An aside - we've just taken delivery of an EMC CX300 storage system.
We've configured a RAID 5 array with 15 146GB Fibre channel disks and
a hot spare. We've just pulled one of the disks from the array and
are watching the rebuild take place. I'll let you know how long it
takes!

Guy
Guy Dawson I.T. Manager Crossflight Ltd