Old December 22nd 06, 11:34 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
Conor

Default A few questions before assembling Linux 7.5TB RAID 5 array

In article , Yeechang Lee says...
Steve Cousins wrote:
* What chunk size should I use? In previous RAID 5 arrays I've built
for similar purposes I've used 512K. For the setup I'm describing,
should I go bigger? Smaller?

It is best to try a number of different configurations and benchmark
each one to see how it works with your needs. For my needs I've mainly
used 64 KB stripes because it gave better performance than 128 or
higher.

I figured as much, but was hoping that someone else would say "Hey, in
my experience ___KB chunks are best for your situation, and I'd raise
the chunk size ___KB for every terabyte bigger." I guess there's just
no way around manually building and rebuilding the array a few times,
unless the performance with each chunk-size step relative to with
others is the same as while the array is still dirty and being built
up for the first time and once the array is finished.

Sadly, no as usage and typical filesize play a large part in it and no
two arrays are going to be used the same.

--
Conor

"You're not married,you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart