Old July 29th 04, 08:10 PM
JK

MS wrote:

JK wrote:
Why do you want a P4 3ghz 800 Prescott? It looks like that chip is around
$225 for the retail box with heatsink. For less than that you can get an
Athlon 64 3200+ retail box with heatsink. Read this review and see why
the Athlon 64 3200+ is a much better value.

Several replies I had in these newsgroups made me think the cost of an
Athlon 64 and a motherboard for it would be more expensive than the P4
3ghz 800 Prescott for hardly any performance gain.

That isn't really true. The motherboards for the Athlon 64 have dropped
in price considerably. As for the performance, read this review.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2065&p=1

The Athlon 64 3200+ very recently dropped in price from around $280
or so to around $210, which makes it an even more compelling value,
even if it will only be used with a 32 bit OS and 32 bit software.

Maybe the prices are slightly different in the UK, but the Athlon 64 3200
is more expensive than the P4 3ghz 800 Prescott (about US$50 more), the
comparable CPU in price would actually be the Athlon 64 3000 (which would
be US$35 cheaper).

The price on the Athlon 64 3200+ just dropped considerably. Perhaps
some dealers in the UK might be a bit slow to lower prices?
Check www.pricewatch.com for US pricing.

The PC will be running XP Pro and its most 'demanding' role will be doing
video editing and associated tasks. Wouldn't the P4 be better at doing this?

Not really. The P4 beat the Athlon XP chips, since the Athlon XP chips don't
have SSE2. The Athlon 64 has SSE2. Video software makes great use of
SSE2.

Should I be rethinking and getting the Athlon 64 3000 instead of the P4
3ghz 800 Prescott?

I think the Athlon 64 3200+ at only around $40 more than the Athlon 64 3000+
is a much better value. With 64 bit software, the Athlon 64 will really be
awesome.
There might be some 64 bit video editing software available now that runs under
Linux?

Thanks,

MS

Hi,

Having had such great replies about which processor to buy, now is my
chance to ask about which motherboard.

I've decided to get a Pentium 4 3.0E Ghz 800Mhz Prescott CPU, but my
supplier (who will be doing the actual system build) has loads of P4
motherboards. I've narrowed it down to these 9.

I'm looking for reliability, some overclocking, ability to take decent
RAM, but I really have no idea how to choose between these! Perhaps
someone who knows a lot more about the issues at stake can advise me.

Abit IC7-G Intel 875 Motherboard - £102.11
Abit IC7 Intel 875P P4 Motherboard - £77.41
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Intel 875P Canterwood Motherboard - £130.28
Asus P5GDC Deluxe Intel 915P Sck 775 Motherboard - £116.84
Asus P4S800D-E Deluxe SiS®655TX P4 Motherboard - £70.24
Epox EP-4PDA2V Socket 478 Motherboard inc EasyBay - £83.48
Epox EP-4PDA5+ Intel 865PE P4 Motherboard - £75.39
Gigabyte GA-8I915P-PRO PCI Express Socket 775 Motherboard - £88.83
Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 Intel P4 2004 GT Edition Motherboard - £77.64

Thanks and regards,

MS