Old November 20th 17, 03:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default hard disk transfer speed changed

On 20/11/2017 8:25 AM, Paul wrote:
You're in PIO mode.

This shouldn't happen.

When there is a measurable error rate, the driver scheme
changes transfer rates, in an attempt to reduce the error
rate. But it doesn't take that many "gear down" attempts
by the driver, until it's in polled transfer mode,
a word is transferred at a time by the CPU. That
destroys transfer rate performance.

When you look in the appropriate dialog, you'll see
that DMA is no longer listed, and it's changed to PIO.
But I can tell just by your transfer rate, what just
happened. "4" is a popular number - that's what I'm using
as evidence.

Ah, brings back old memories from the XP and pre-XP days. I haven't
heard of the driver switching to PIO mode in years! I don't think that
even exists in modern Windows, does it? I haven't seen it happen in years.

Yousuf Khan

--
Sent from Giganews on Thunderbird on my Toshiba laptop