Old June 13th 08, 03:18 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
nik Simpson

Default Crazy idea........USB flash drives converted to IDE or SATAdisks.

Boll Weevil wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:54:16 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:
What's wrong with a flash SSD like those available from any number of
vendors?

Well, they are too small for one thing and if you get the 32GB ones you have to
loose limbs. To be comfortable for windows XP, you need about 20GB minimum.
But I wouldn't even entertain that. Vista..... forget it.

It would be nice to have a HD sized case where I can plug in 10 to 20 SD, Flash,
CF cards to be striped into one big logical disk. Like I said, this maybe
another year or two before we see anything like this...... I am thinking.

My bet is that you'll never see it, the price wouldn't be that much
better than a conventional flash drive, maybe even worse. Give it a
couple of years and nobody will care because the flash-based drives will
be cheap enough for all practical purposes.

--
Nik Simpson