Old February 3rd 17, 04:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default "Backblaze Hard Drive Stats for 2016"

On 01/31/2017 01:11 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Backblaze Hard Drive Stats for 2016"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-...rk-stats-2016/

More hard drive stats than I have ever seen. Th4 4th quarter 2016 table
covers 79,939 drives.

The lesson is, don't buy hard drives as they are only going to fail ?

The different failure rates for the Seagate ST4000DM000 and ST4000DX000
are interesting. The former are the "desktop" drives, while the latter
*seem to be* the ones that are found in the external drive units; t
least that's the only "hit" I find for that model number when I search.
Are they really different? Do "flaky" 4TB drives (the ones that barely
pass testing) get labeled as ST4000DX000 and put in the external cases
(where they're probably going to get knocked around, and warranty
replacement can be denied on account of that), and the good ones get
labeled as ST4000DM000?

What is the model number on the 4TB drives that are packaged as "retail"
units, I wonder? Not the model number on the package.

I bought 6TB "retail" Seagates. The model number on the package was
STBD6000100, but the drives themselves are ST6000DX000.

Perce