Old October 28th 11, 06:11 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
pcpilot[_2_]

Default DVD Writer only recognised as CD/DVD ROM in XP

Hi yukonron,

Thank you for reply to my post. To confirm I have uninstalled (several
times!) the DVD Writer via device manager and re-installed to no avail.
Unfortunately windows regards dvd burners/cd drives and the like as
'generic' devices and offers no specific drivers and I have been unable
to find any so far online.

The driver pack link provided is to a torrent (which I am not familiar
with) file however, if anyone has such a driver for this model of the
Hitachi drive or knows where I can download it I would be most
grateful.

The firmware has been updated to JW02 (latest available??) already again
no avail!!

Hi also to Mike S.

Not at all a silly question, my friend (who's laptop this is) is
disabled and so finds drag and drop features as provided within the XP
OS very useful whereas image burn and such like are somewhat less
intuitive to her being already XP familiar. In fact image burn was only
installed to PROVE windows wrong when stating this was not a recordable
drive.......something it did with immediate effect, no question, no
ceremony!!!!

.....and besides there is something in me which says XP has this feature
and it should be available if the drive is burner (as it is of course).
Hence my desire to get it working!!!

I am grateful for any advice/suggestions.

Thanks,

PCPilot