Old September 21st 14, 01:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default RAID disk "degraded" but divorced they are happy

On 20/09/2014 8:56 AM, wrote:
I have a PC setup with RAID1 by somebody else.
It has Asus P6T SE board with ICH10R.
Upon booting, the BIOS whinges that a disk is degraded, giving serial
number thereof. Then Windows also pops up a helful alert that disk on
port3 is degraded and that human should replace offending item.

Instead, I went into BIOS and changed SATA settings from RAID to IDE,
then ran Seagate disk toola on both disks. It says SMART is okay for
both, so I ran long diagnostic. Both disk pass.
So maybe I have intermittent fault, either drive or controller?
They have done 33000 hours, so perhaps time for a trade-in...

RAID can and does hiccup from time to time. It's hard to keep the two
disks synchronized all of the time. One might run into a weak sector
(still readable, just requiring more retries), while the other is just
fine, and that looks like a disk going bad to the RAID software. That's
why RAID disks are sold specially designed for RAID, they have higher
tolerances for intermittent timing problems.

Yousuf Khan