Old February 26th 04, 06:28 PM
Dan G

No C2 errors are acceptable, C1 rates are not very significant.
If you see C2, it's generally due to poor burn/disc quality or excessive
burn speed, or both. C2 errors are correctable only to a point. Personally,
I wouldn't trust any disc that has C2 errors.

"Kevin McDonough" wrote in message
om...
I've been working with a friend to find out the CDR media that work
best with his Marantz CDR-510 Professional. I've got a Plextor
Premium drive and compared the C1/C2 error rates of the copies he made
of Pancho Sanchez's albumn, Papa Gato.

We used four types of CDR media, Fuji, Taiyo Yuden, TDK, and Phillips.
The TDK and Phillips media are audio CDs. I ran a C1/C2/CU test on
all of these including the original. The results are as follows:

--Original, pressed CD--
C1
Avg/Sec: 2.9
Max/Sec: 37
Total: 7,700
C2
N/A

--TDK--
C1
Avg/Sec: 4.2
Max/Sec: 21
Total: 11,125
C2
Avg/Sec: 0
Max/Sec: 1
Total: 3

--Taiyo Yuden--
C1
Avg/Sec: 2
Max/Sec: 31
Total: 5328
C2
Avg/Sec: 0
Max/Sec: 13
Total: 41

--Fuji--
C1
Avg/Sec: 4.4
Max/Sec: 43
Total: 11,808
C2
N/A

--Phillips--
C1
Avg/Sec: 4.1
Max/Sec: 24
Total: 10,932
C2
N/A

I have a couple of questions based on these results. First, I thought
C2 errors mainly came about from environmental factors: fingerprints,
scratches, etc. If I am getting them from a brand new disc, is there
something defective on the surface of the media? I looked at the
bottom of the media and all of them were smudge and defect free (at
least visible to the naked eye).

Secondly, based on these results, which media would you use? Actually,
I should probably run more tests to make a final conclusion. All of
them show an average/sec of C1 errors under 6, which I've heard is
excellent. The Taiyo Yuden had significantly lower number of C1 errors
and the lowest average per second. Yet, this media also had the
highest number of C2 errors.

I know both C1 and C2 errors are correctable, and as a result, all of
these discs are fine, but I am curious as to your thoughts as to
results you are getting with the media you use.