Old July 9th 16, 06:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Default What's the connector used to terminate a keyboard wire called?

Veek. M wrote:
http://storage1.static.itmages.com/i...2ac4dc2df9.png

I have a USB keyboard with a defective cable (i'm retaining the USB-A
connector). I'm replacing it with a normal cable from a PS2 which i need
to solder to the USB-A plug/connector. What you are seeing is the opened
keyboard-PCB connector and PS2 connector (internal that;s plugged into
it). I want the name of the white connector (it's a 5 hole female
rectangular thingy) that plugs into a male 5-pin/needle connector that's
soldered on to the keyboard pcb

Examine the connector and see if it can be reused.

A wire connector like that (wire to board), can use
crimp pins. There is a tiny spring tab on each pin,
which holds it into the box. If you depress the spring
tab (visible through a tiny window in the plastic),
you can pull the wire and pin backwards and out of the
connector body.

Make a drawing of the pin one indicator, and the color
of each wire, before you begin. Or take a few digital
camera photos, so you get the wire order correct. If
you put the colors in the wrong holes, you'll blow
up something.

Page 33 top left, shows a wire connector with 0.1" contact
spacing. The crimp pins that fit into the connector,
are purchased separately and are shown next to the plastic
bit. This picture will illustrate a tiny bit, the parts
of the connector. The left hand side of the connector
pin, has a 45 degree slope, and that's what contacts
the male pin it is mating with. The middle crimp and end
crimp hold onto the wire. I don't even have the right
tool to crimp those, but that hasn't stopped me from using
needle-nose pliers to finish the job. I believe the middle
crimp is for the wire, the end crimp can grip the plastic
insulation, but I use both crimps for the wire itself. And
don't bother building strain relief of any sort.

http://www.mode-elec.com/Products/catalog.pdf

The back of the connector has a bigger aperture than
the front (that plugs in). The front will have a square
hold, only a little bigger than the dimensions of the
pin. The back hole, where the pin and wire enter the
body, is much larger.

Sometimes stuff like this is hot molded, and impossible
to recycle. And I cannot tell if that's how they made
yours or not.

Best guess,
Paul