Old May 15th 04, 11:56 PM
~misfit~

Kenneth wrote:
"Kenneth" wrote in message
"Trent©" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 May 2004 13:32:34 -0500, Kenneth
wrote:

Okay, having some problems with my system at home. I'm going to
run down a list of problems, things I've tried, and the results.
I'm stumped here, so I'd like whatever feedback is out there...

I've got a P4 2.4GHz processor with 512MB PC2700, GeForce 4 Ti4200,
Soundblaster Audigy2, 300w power supply, c:\ drive is a 60 GB
Maxtor, and d:\ drive is a 120GB Western Digital.

You need a different, larger power supply...unless the one that you
have is approved by Intel.

The other problems are probably just minor...and caused by the
drives suddenly quitting.

Have a nice week...

Trent©

It makes all sense that the power supply, being a 300, wouldn't push
all the junk in my rig. The thing that's confusing me is why would
it suddenly be inefficient now? This power supply has been running
in this system for nearly a year without a problem.

That works out to be a pretty easy thing to test, though. I do have
a spare power supply, 400w, that I can put in. It's just as noisy
as all get out, that's why I took it out in the first place.

I'll give it a shot and will report back anything that I find.

Kenneth

Well, I've put the other power supply in. So far no problems, but
after formatting my C:\ drive and reinstalling Windows, I haven't had
any problems anyway, other than chkdsk taking forever and a day on
the D:\ drive. My computer now sounds like a jet engine with that
other power supply.

By the way, I was wrong about that power supply. The other one I had
was a Seasonic SS-400S... a 400w power supply. I certainly would
have thought that would have been enough to push it. I mean, I'm not
running the latest GeForce or anything...

A ti4200 still sucks a bit of juice (sorry to get all technical), especially
on the 3.3v rail. Not all power supplies are capable of putting out their
rated wattage, and, even amongst those that are it can be differently
distributed around the three main rails.

I have a similar system to yours, only running an XP1800+ at 2.1Ghz instead.
The rest is pretty much identical, down to the ti4200. I had a "400W" PSU in
it that wasn't. The 3.3v rail especially was sagging something wicked, down
to 3v. A new, good brand 400W did the trick.
--
~misfit~