Old May 15th 04, 11:49 PM
~misfit~

Bob Day wrote:
"Kenneth" wrote in message
Okay, having some problems with my system at home. I'm going to run
down a list of problems, things I've tried, and the results. I'm
stumped here, so I'd like whatever feedback is out there...
I haven't a clue what started this
frustrating chain of events. I'm open for any input and/or
speculation.

Here might be a good place to begin:

1. Make sure your CPU and case temperatures are OK, and
that the CPU fan, case fans, and any other fans are
working.

2. Shut down your computer and turn off power *at the
surge protector* (which cuts off standby power while
leaving your computer grounded) or unplug it. Take
the standard protections against static electricity
(wear a wrist strap or keep one hand grounded at all
times).

3. Open up your computer and dust it out. *Do not use a
vacuum cleaner* - it might cause static discharge.
Get some dust remover spray (RadioShack has it) and
a dust mask, and take your computer outside and spray
out the dust. Keep the end of the spray straw at least
six inches from any components and keep it moving so as
to avoid excessive thermal shock to the components.

4. Reseat all the modules, including the memory modules,
and cables inside your computer.

5. If your computer is a few years old, remove your CMOS
battery and check its voltage (or just replace it). In
any case, Clear CMOS (see your mainboard manual for how to
do it) and set up your BIOS again.

6. Run a few cycles of "memtest86" (download from
http://www.memtest86.com) to thoroughly check out your
memory. You should get zero errors.

7. Run a full set of hardware diagnostics. ("diag378.exe",
downloadable from ftp://ftp1.dell.com/diags, after a few
complaints, will run on most non-Dell computers.)
You should get zero errors.

And while you're at it you might as well wash the car and walk the dog for
all the good that load of twaddle is gonna help.
--
~misfit~