Old July 11th 16, 12:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Default nvraid error Win10

On 2016-07-11 2:56 AM, Paul wrote:
[snippage]
This is an example of a typical command while
working with an HPA. You do one of these, then
reboot, as you cannot issue a second HPA related
command in the same session. You cannot insert
an HPA and remove an HPA, without rebooting.
It's a hardware trap door, and not something
you can program around in the Linux kernel or
anything. It's the way the hardware works
(on purpose).

sudo hdparm --yes-i_know_what_i_am_doing -N p# /dev/sdX

I remember it cost me a reboot, learning that
I had to add the idiotic

--yes-i_know_what_i_am_doing

to make the command work :-) Of course I don't
know what I'm doing. Why make it obvious ? :-)

HTH,
Paul

I think maybe you are conflation Windows and Linux. Nevertheless there
are different methods to achieve the same ends. In the present case, I
tried to use PMagic to format the Seagate. It failed and I think the
reason it failed is the lack of a partition table. PMagic couldn't even
SEE the HDD. nor could the Win10 DVD. Maybe PMagic can solve that
problem, and create a partition table, I'll check.

You can use whatever tools you want, to examine the disk.

You could try PTEDIT32 if you have a copy.

The free copy is no longer available from Symantec.
(It's been sitting on the FTP server for years, but got
removed - consequently my answers no longer refer to it.)

I recommend using whatever good tools you have access to.
I frequently use Linux, if a maintenance task calls for
it and I don't have a Windows tool.

For example, there are some messes you can get into,
that Disk Management simply cannot handle. If you do a
block by block copy of a hybrid ISO onto a USB key for
example, that can be just about impossible to clean off
with Windows GUI tools. And then you have to be creative,
and check your tool box for another method.

I have a copy of Disktype I built in Cygwin, but it
would take a whole post to describe how to do it. I'd
have to install Cygwin again, just to write it up.

The Disktype in Linux (cross-platform) is available
instantly from the Package Manager, without a fuss.
And it scans the disk and tries to give you a
picture of what is on it.

I don't know of a single tool that does a comprehensive
review of storage device contents and gives an
unambiguous picture of the mess you're in.

Your Partition Magic results are weird, and smack of a
geometry problem. But for me, it's faster to try to
get other tools to identify the situation, than to
debug what Partition Magic did this time. I mean, Partition
Magic gets ****ed off if it spots megabyte alignment,
and that is exactly what your Windows 10 install is
going to do. If you don't want Windows 10 to do that,
you would do an MSDOS setup of an NTFS partition
in advance, so Windows could not use the Win10
default alignment choice. That's the way I got
myself in a mess with Win7 - installed in a
pre-existing NTFS partition (with CHS alignment),
and then later I couldn't figure out when I needed
megabyte alignment, why it wasn't there :-) The
hard drive I had just purchased, hated the CHS
alignment and it was slower than it needed to be.
It perked up after putting the alignment in, that
Windows would have used in the first place if
I hadn't been so clever. That sort of thing
happens on 512e drives with 4KB internal sectors.
Something you can spot from... Linux :-)

Bottom drive here is 512n (native), alignment doesn't matter.
Works good on any OS. While the top drive
needs megabyte alignment for best performance.
The top drive is 512e (emulated). Most drives
today (percentage wise) are 512e.

http://s28.postimg.org/fmmz92g59/disk_comparison.gif

Paul