Old July 10th 16, 04:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm X

Default nvraid error Win10

On 2016-07-06 1:11 AM, Paul wrote:
Norm X wrote:
Hi,

I've encountered "nvraid error" in my (hopefully fixable) install of
Win10 ultimate on my desktop. Years ago I set up a 3 drive RAID 0
storage array with three partitions.. Fortunately, I can still boot
from the partition with Visa-32 installed. Using checkdisk it has
discovered may errors on the Win10 partition. My problem is well
known. I need to install more software. An OS that corrupts its own
storage is not usable until the problem, is fixed.

There are only two trim levels of consumer Windows 10.
There are five trim levels of Windows7 SP1 qualifying
for an upgrade. There is a mapping between the two sets.
The result of the Win10 upgrade will not have the
word "Ultimate" in the final outcome. This is a subset
of the map.

Win7 Ultimate -- Win10 Professional
Win7 Home Premium -- Win10 Home

There isn't a business case, for NVidia to be
making Windows 10 Southbridge drivers. They've been shut out
of the chipset business, like VIA was. Both AMD and Intel
have in-house chipsets. Delivering Windows 10 drivers
would not be part of NVidia's business strategy. They
still make things other than GPUs, there will still
be SATA ports on some of their products, but NVRAID
would be long-in-the-tooth and not for them. They are
more likely now, to be using AHCI drivers, and usually
a standard platform driver handles that case.

A Win10 RAID driver, could be a Win7 or Win8 driver
of some sort. And there are subtle changes to the
driver model and stack. So it's not a given you can
transfer a driver like that, with zero impact.

So why would a person use 3-drive NVRAID RAID0 as starting
materials for a Win10 upgrade ?

And why would a person start a Windows 10 install, without
doing a full backup of the target storage volume ? That
three drive RAID, as corrupted as it is right now,
should be available for restore from your external
USB drive.

Why would you even install Windows 10 ? It's not
like it has any inherent advantages. Windows 7 has
fewer restrictions in places.

If you did a backup, it might even work
when restored to a single hard drive. It would require
setting the re-arm registry entry, for the driver
of choice (like, AHCI). You would re-arm as many
drivers as there are possible outcomes. You could even
set the re-arm, shut down, boot a Macrium Reflect Free
backup CD, do the backup of the OS with the re-arm set,
and then start the Windows 10 upgrade afterward. Knowing
that you had a logical volume in the can for later, ready
to go.

"My problem is well known" = should have done backup.

That's the well-known part. As good as that installer
is, "**** happens".

On my Win7 laptop, my battery life has been cut in
half with Win10 on it, so it cannot stay there.
Expect the unexpected. The video driver is an orphan.
My GPU, "unsupported". Yes, there is an image on the
screen. Ah, wonderful. This is why we test, and is
a normal outcome. In fact, in the house right now,
I have zero video cards that are "Win10 actively
supported". And my last computer build with all
new components, was fall 2015! And the video card is
already gone out of support. Yes, Windows 10, wonderful.

Paul

The reason this upgrade is still viable is because I may be eligible for
a "free win10 upgrade" for only to price of a new drive.

It is amazing how quick this error turned up. After an upgrade I check
Event Viewer everyday. On day there no such errors. Then the next day a
"nvraid error" was generated many time per second, so that partition was
no longer usable.