Old May 2nd 05, 05:38 AM
P2B

Montana Pete wrote:

Hello fellow Adaptec Users

I have 10 computers that have Adaptec SCSI controllers installed. One
uses a 39320 card, but most use 39160 cards. All the SCSI cdrom's are
Plextor UltraPlex units also known as the PX-32CS. I have a boot CD I
have created to run Norton ghost and copy disks, create images, and
restore from images. On the older motherboards I have no problems, and
I can boot from a cdrom just fine, but on the more recent motherboards
I have a variety of problems that I have developed workarounds for,
but it's still a PIA.

I have two P4T-E motherboards.

On the first one if I boot from the CD I get the message "A bootable
disk has been detected. I has been assigned as drive A: and your A:
diskette has been reassigned as drive B:". Not exactly the verbage,
but you all have seen it and know what I am talking about. If I let
the boot process continue normally the system will ignore the CD and
boot from the first hard disk drive. If I put a diskette, any
diskette, in drive A: then the system will boot from the cdrom drive.
My workaround for this system is to keep an old recovery diskette in
the drive and insert it any time I want to boot from the cdrom.

On the second one if I boot from the CD I get the message "A bootable
disk has been detected. I has been assigned as drive A: and your A:
diskette has been reassigned as drive B:" . If I let the boot process
continue normally the system will ignore the CD and boot from the
first hard disk drive. If I put a non-bootable diskette in drive A: I
get the normal "not a system disk. Insert a bootable disk and press
any key". If I put a DOS boot disk in drive A: the system will boot
from it. My workaround for this system is to keep a copy of the
diskette I used to make the bootable image for the ghost CD and insert
that when I want to boot from the cdrom. The diskette loads DOS and
the cdrom drivers, then switches to the CD and loads ghost.

I have two P4C800 motherboards.

The first one works identically to the second P4T-E, so I keep a
diskette with the CD boot image on it in that machine also.

The second P4C800 is a little more complicated. On that machine I also
have a Plextor DVD drive; A SATA PX716SA. I used to be able to boot
from the SCSI cdrom drive by using the boot menu. Just hit F8 during
the memory test and the pop-up boot menu appears at the end of the
BIOS processing and gives me the option to boot from any of the
detected devices. If I try that now the system looks in drive A: then
it checks out the DVD drive which is empty of course, and finally
gives me a little different "no system disk" type of message but the
meaning is clear that it can't find the boot image it told me a few
seconds ago it just read from the CD. If I put a CD in the DVD drive
or a diskette in the A: drive it will attempt to boot from either one.
However since I have the SATA drive set to enhanced mode in the BIOS
for the benefit of Windows, the system will freeze up during the boot
process. Yes, I could go into the BIOS and change the DVD settings to
compatible, boot from the DVD drive, go in afterwards and change it
back, but it's easier to put a floppy with the CD boot image on it in
drive A: just as I did in the 2 previous machines..

Now, what is going on here? All these machines used to be able to boot
from the Plextor SCSI drive just fine and all with their current
controller cards. I have tried the bootable CD in the older computers
and it works fine so it's not the CD. Sure I have made changes to some
of the BIOS settings over time, and I have upgraded the BIOS versions
and as of now all computers are running the latest version. I have not
changed the settings in the BIOS on the controller cards and the
computers that work and those that fail have the exact same settings.
I have no recollection of any changes around the time these problems
started. It just seemed like the problem occurred with one of the
P4T-E machines one day, then later on the other, and finally the
P4C800's were cursed as well. All this happened over an extended
period of time.

Anyone have any ideas? Paul, if you read this I would welcome your
opinion.

This is all very disappointing, because you've determined that more
recent Asus BIOSes simply don't support Adaptec's SCSI BIOS the way they
used to - as evidenced by your systems booting from HDD or floppy after
the Adaptec BIOS already pushed them aside.

Unfortunately Rick is probably correct - Asus will have little interest
in fixing the problem, which relegates you to using workarounds or IDE
CDROMS - which have never had full el-torito support.

P2B