Old November 30th 04, 05:34 PM
The Berzerker

"Folk" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:52:03 -0000, "The Berzerker"
wrote:

I'm trying to purchase a 5.1 soundcard for my PC, but I'm very confused.

My
machine already has 5.1 sound onboard, but it's not 5.1!?!? It has an

SPDIF
port, sure and through this it can output DVDs in full 5.1. However, when

it
comes to games, it's just not capable. I'm guessing because with the DVD
it's just throwing out raw 5.1 sound, while real-time stuff like games

can't
be done that way. Either way, it can't have 5.1 in games, and that's what

want.

So, you see my problem. I've been browsing around, looking at cards, and

can never tell whether the card does 'true' 5.1 sound, or is just like

what
I've already got.

I've been looking at this.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...vd19wcm9kdWN0X

292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=72316

I can't tell if it's appropriate. It's certainly cheap, and I don't have
lots of money to spend. I've also noticed that it doesn't feature a SPDIF
port, which makes it useless? You're required to connect each speaker
individually to a port, and I can't do that. My 5.1 speaker system

(complete
with decoder) requires it be connected via optical or coax. The speakers
simply wouldn't fit into the back of the card if they were to be

connected
one by one. What do I do? Is there an alternative model with a SPDIF

port? -
so I can just link the card to my decoder?

I'm not really fussed about manufacturer and I'd really, really

appreciate
some help.

Thanks. I hope someone can guide me.

I concur with Lenny. Spend the extra £20 and get the ZS.

Aha! So, looking at the card on creative's website

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...product=491 5

Am I mistaken, or are those connections just like the end of a coaxal lead,
and not conventional jack socket things? If so, my speakers will indeed fit
into the back of the card. However...

I will have no way to connect the sub. As it stands my front, center and
rear speakers connect into the back of the sub, the sub the connects via a
DIN port to the input and volume selector. So, I'm stuck?

I'm still god damn confused. My existing 5.1 sound system is the Creative
Labs 5.1 Inspire set (Digital 5500). I'm really annoyed that I can't use my
creative speaker set with my (soon to be) creative sound card. What's up
with that?

I know you're saying I can buy a new set of speakers, but come on! I'm on a
killer tight budget... there must be some way to get these to work together,
and for me to understand what's going on!