Old February 21st 06, 11:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default data encryption and data recovery?

Noname wrote

In the future it appears most hdd's will be encrypted.

Dont believe it.

However, the person trying to attempt Do It Yourself data
recovery is not likely to have the key for the encryption.

Thats what the proper backups are for.

I read the rate of theft on laptops a few weeks back,
the encryption process reflects the loss of data and
the value of the data. But, the added security is likely
to end DIY data recovery and DR by small business.

How odd that it didnt with the ATA
standard protection for laptop hard drives.

M$ Vista is slated for encryption.

We'll see. And we'll see how many actually bother
with it even if that does happen. Most dont with the
ATA standard protection for hard drives in laptops.

"Microsoft has said Windows Vista has features
that take advantage of TPM chipset ...

TPM chipsets have been widely endorsed by both hardware
and software manufacturers to tighten the noose on piracy"

There's been endless claims along those lines in the past
that have turned out to be just plain mindlessly silly.

TPM is Trusted Platform Module. That article is at

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...html?nlhtmn=02
20microsoftalert1

Yawn.

Seagate announced Full Disc Encryption and has a white paper
on the topic at their website. "No negative impact to the user",
probably a true statement until the user cannot access their data.

Thats what the proper backups are for.

"in the event a data recovery service must hace access to the drive
it can be supplied", but what about the end user, I doubt Seagate
will provide a key to everyone who cannot access their hdd?

Likely not, but thats what the proper backups are for.

Comments appreciated.