Old July 13th 04, 12:05 PM
w_tom

Of course not. I have no affiliation with any of those
companies. Why would I mention the competition so often? But
this is
basic and essential information when doing anything that
requires reliable operation such as aerospace work and
semiconductor factories. Ever see all computers damaged just
before a space launch because the facilities were not properly
earthed?

Over the years, I have had some mysterious failures and
spectacular successes. Most early lessons were on friends
homes. Have seen MOVs completely vaporized so that only two
lead exist - an eerie scene. Have seen everything - literally
every electronic device - damaged except on one circuit
protected by (what I now know to be) an undersized but
properly located MOV. That MOV, earthed by less than three
foot connection, shunted a surge so large as to partially
damage the electric meter. All other circuits exposed to that
strike suffered complete damage. This one protected circuit
with such a short earth ground connection suffered not one
failure - except where the surge passed through electric meter
to get to earth ground.

That one experience got me heavily into questioning surge
protectors. Discovered myths all but promoted by plug-in
protector manufacturers AND the highly rated products from
real world protector companies such as Polyphaser.

Tim Auton wrote:
w_tom, do you work for a company involved in the manufacture,
distribution, sales or installation of whole-house surge
protectors?