Old November 25th 20, 10:57 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

Default If you print from Windows 10 to your LAN networked printer - have you also printed from Android? How?

On Wed, 25 Nov 2020 10:23:12 -0000, wasbit wrote:

Sharing a printer is, presumably, required when the printer is connected to
a PC not a router.

Hi wasbit,

I have never shared a printer using Windows 10 so I'm not sure
o But why can't share work by USB to the printer or Ethernet to the router?

Nonetheless, I never disputed that this solution is only applicable to
Windows if (and only if) Windows _is_ included in the solution.

What I will do, since your point is valid, is STOP updating this thread,
where the solution will be found in the Android newsgroup instead.
o How do you print from Android to your home networked printer on your LAN?
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.mobile.android/c/nTAYljkvVl4

I'll only update this thread if the solution involves Windows.
o Or, if someone asks me a question (which I need to respond to).

Deal?

I always give the printer a static IP address.

I also have a static printer, & I ran a port scan on it earlier today:
o The printer is 192.168.1.20 and the only open port is 80
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.periphs.printers/c/Y-b186tFKTs/m/baC2tgbSAAAJ

Taken from the printer properties & as installed by the Brother drivers
Port: 192.168.x.x

The AngryIP port scanner seems to think my printer has port 80 open.
o Who knew? Not me.

I can actually access that page when I use the URL from a browser:
o Welcome to the Embedded Web Server!
o Click the Administration button to configure, get status of,
or diagnose the HP JetDirect print server.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-86508cdae94b

Thanks for that hint.
o Mine is also a "standard tcp/ip port".

Here's what I did to find that out:
o Win+R ms-settingsrinters HP LaserJet 2100 Series PCL5
o [Manage] Printer properties Ports

Mine came from Freecycle & was previously used (or abused) in a school
office.
It was a 2100 so I had to source a JetDirect card & add it myself.
Prior to that I used a parallel to ethernet cable.

I checked the serial on the back and mine was manufactured in 1999.
o It has the JetDirect card, whatever that is.

I think that's just a fancy way of saying it's a network card?
o Is that right?

(or, is it a "printer server", whatever that might mean to us.)

Not sure that I did. It was probably before Android became popular.
I do recall having to go the extra steps before Windows (7?) would find the
drivers, as you posted in one of your threads & having to change the port in
the printer properties.

Up until about an hour ago I was happy that I was able, for the first time,
to print (I thought) "directly" from Android, but it turned out my solution
(unbeknownst to me) used the Internet (see recent post with details).

The good news is that I have _plenty_ of solutions to test, and we know the
hardware works, so I just need to find software that does what everyone
would want, which is the following rather simple set of requirements:
a. Free, ad free, gsf-free, google free (as are almost all my Android apps)
b. Prints directly from Android to the printer (without the Internet!)
c. Where Android is using WiFi & the printer is Ethernet'd to the router
(and, of course, where the printer is not Wi-Fi enabled in any way)
--
o https://i.postimg.cc/zD0CDJZz/printing01.jpg Android10 ConnectionPrefs
o https://i.postimg.cc/xdvmwQ3S/printing02.jpg ConnectionPrefs Printing