Old November 25th 20, 10:31 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
Arlen Holder

Default If you print from Windows 10 to your LAN networked printer - have you also printed from Android? How?

UPDATE:

I printed from Android to the printer, but, I only figured out,
after the fact, that it used an Internet server!
o https://i.postimg.cc/2530Yc6X/printing10.jpg It uses the Intenet!

Nonetheless, this is certainly "one way" to print (albeit not that good)
o https://i.postimg.cc/DZJprj3b/printing08.jpg PrintBot static printer
o https://i.postimg.cc/wjqWfTdz/printing09.jpg PDF Open with PrintBot

Here's what I did on Android 10 to print a single page of a multi-page PDF
a. I printed a PDF file from my Moto G7 (Android 10)
b. To my circa 1999, HP LaserJet 2100tn printer on my LAN
c. Where Android is over Wi-Fi & the HP is Ethernet'd to the router

Note:
A. The printer is on the same subnet as Android is, on my private LAN
B. The HP LaserJet 2100tn has no Wi-Fi hardware (nor Wi-Fi Direct)
C. The HP LaserJet 2100tn has USB input (but it is not connected to a PC)
D. I have no desire to use the Internet just to print on my own LAN
(I did not disconnect the router from the net when running this test)

I found out only after I printed that this uses the Internet!
o Nonetheless, so others benefit, here's the process I used that worked.

1. Download & install Printbot, by https://zenofx.com/
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.jsecurity.printbot
https://zenofx.com/printbot/

2. Turn off all "print services" _except_ "PrintBot" (if you have others).
NOTE: I don't know if this is needed; but HP instructions say it is.

3. In PrintBot, hit the settings hamburger & then "Add static printer"
o Protocol = Raw(JetDirect) [out of Raw(JetDirect), LPR, IPP, & Fritz!Box]
o Host (IP address or hostname) = 192.168.0.20
o Manufacturer = (scroll to the "HP" pre-defined setting)
o Printer model = (scroll to the "LaserJet-2100" pre-defined setting)
https://i.postimg.cc/DZJprj3b/printing08.jpg

4. That creates the following "PrintBot Settings":
o Network connection = raw://192.168.0.20/
o Printer = HP LaserJet-2100
Press "Print test page" (and a ZenoFX test page should result).

5. Select any document on the Android phone to print to that printer
I selected a multi-page PDF file, for example, named "foo.pdf".

This foo.pdf file will either open up in your default editor, or,
if you don't have a default PDF editor set up in Android,
then Android will ask you what you want to do with the file.

You can choose to "Open with PrintBot" & press the green printer icon.
If desired, before printing, you can modify the default settings, such as:
o Set Copies = 1
o Set Paper size = Letter
o Set Color = Black & White
o Set Orientation = Portrait
o Set Two-sided = none (mine is grayed out as the printer doesn't support it)
o Set Page = All 4 (I changed that to print the range of just page 1)
https://i.postimg.cc/wjqWfTdz/printing09.jpg

6. The _first_ time only (I think), it will give you this warning:
"Use PrintBot? Your document may pass through one or more servers
on its way to the printer." [Cancel][OK]
https://i.postimg.cc/2530Yc6X/printing10.jpg

I only saw that the first time printing though.

Googling for what that warning means, I found the first gotcha:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.jsecurity.printbot
"Free version allows printing of 3 images or PDF documents per month
(after that, a watermark is added on each page).
PDFs are restricted to 3 pages.
Pro version allows unlimited printing."

That also imples the second gotcha, which is this method uses the net!

Notice that the same outfit has a "localprint" app which does NOT use
the Internet (so I will test that app next; but it adds watermarks).
o LocalPrint, by zenofx.com
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zenofx.localprint

LocalPrint says this, which PrintBot does _not_ say:
"LocalPrint allows you to print from your Android device
without using any kind of cloud service!
All data stays within your local network all the time."

In summary, this test turned out to be a failure for two reasons:
1. Unbeknownst to me, it used the Internet
2. Even so, after a while, watermarks will appear

Nonetheless, this test was a proof of concept that the hardware works.
o I'll keep testing until I find a local solution that works.
--
See also:
o If you print from Windows 10 to your LAN networked printer - have you also printed from Android? How?
o https://i.postimg.cc/2530Yc6X/printing10.jpg What is this warning???