Old November 25th 20, 10:23 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
wasbit[_4_]

Default If you print from Windows 10 to your LAN networked printer - have you also printed from Android? How?

"Arlen Holder" wrote in message
On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 10:43:10 -0000, wasbit wrote:

I don't understand your question.

Hi wasbit,

Actually you do understand the question.

Where does Windows come into it other than to install the printer
drivers.

I said in the OP that Windows only comes in _if_ the solution is to use
Windows (which it may very well need to be), e.g., as the print server
(e.g., via cups, or samba, as also mentioned in the ancillary thread I
referenced).

The facts are that the Android phone ties closer to Windows than it does
the Ethernet'd wired printer on the LAN; Windows is almost certainly going
to be the intermediary, for a bunch of reasons, not only that Android
connects to the SMB/CUPs services, but also because Windows can 'share' a
printer.

I've never needed to "share" a printer from Windows; but that may be the
solution that works, given how nicely Android ties to Windows and how
nicely Windows ties to the printer (and given how poorly Android ties to
the printer).

Sharing a printer is, presumably, required when the printer is connected to
a PC not a router.

Brother MFC L2700DW connected to router by ethernet allows anything on
the
LAN to print. That's my Android tablet & visitors mobile phones.

You're the second person to mention that a Brother printer has good enough
software to connect directly between Android & the printer which is _only_
on the LAN via its Ethernet connection to the router (i.e., it has an IP
address).

Can you look to see if that connection _also_ has a port involved, as some
of the software I've been trying to get to work asks for both the IP
address of the printer and the port (where I don't know what the port is).

I always give the printer a static IP address.

Taken from the printer properties & as installed by the Brother drivers
Port: 192.168.x.x

Given that Windows 10 prints fine to this printer, is there a way, for
example, to get Windows to tell me what that port number is?

-
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-86508cdae94b

I no longer have an HP Laserjet 2100 (with additional JetDirect ethernet
card) but I don't recall having any print or connectivity problems.

You are correct it's the HP LaserJet 2100tn, which apparently means it has
that network card for Ethernet, which has been printing from Windows for
more than a decade (I don't remember how old it is).

Mine came from Freecycle & was previously used (or abused) in a school
office.
It was a 2100 so I had to source a JetDirect card & add it myself.
Prior to that I used a parallel to ethernet cable.

I don't have any problem whatsoever printing from Windows to that printer
over the LAN; but have you been printing to that printer directly from
Android?

If so, _how_ did you manage to get the Android device to see the printer?

Not sure that I did. It was probably before Android became popular.
I do recall having to go the extra steps before Windows (7?) would find the
drivers, as you posted in one of your threads & having to change the port in
the printer properties.

--
Regards
wasbit