Old April 26th 07, 04:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

Default Intel price cuts

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:43:44 -0400, Barry Watzman
wrote:

In my view, the issue is not so much what AMD did wrong but what Intel
did right. AMD's biggest problem is just that the Core 2 Duo product
line is just superb in every possible way. There used to be reasons to
buy AMD for some buyers and Intel for other buyers, but as things now
stand, the "right" product for almost every buyer is an Intel product.

I'm glad Intel is the right product, because I never wanted to get
into the details of which company's chips are better. I couldn't help
noticing though that in the past AMD-supplied PCs seemed to be
significantly cheaper.

It is confusing to many that "Core 2" is better than "Core Duo". I
know someone who just bought a new "Core Duo" thinking he was getting
the latest chips.

I guess it's "buyer, be aware". This newsgroup has helped me
significantly in that regard.

I hope the next iteration of Intel's chips aren't "Quad Core 2 Duo's"
-- I've had enough mental gymnastics for a while.

Actually, I won't be in the market for a new computer for several
years. Seriously!!! (I know you don't believe me).

Rather than chipsets, I am looking more forward to laptops with more
efficient (LED or otherwise) screens and solid state drives with
instant-on. Then I'll ditch my Palm and never look back.

Ubiquitous WLAN would be nice too.

Instant on, instant everywhere, instant check e-mail, instant check
calendar, instant enter task, instantly stream music to wireless
headphones (instant b'bye iPod), instant video-call Aunt Harriet,
instant watch 97th episode of MASH, instant off, last all-day, instant
mocha cappuccino.