Old April 17th 07, 05:05 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Tony Hill

Default AMD cuts some processor prices by up to 48%

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:20:34 +0200, "The Lone Gunman"
wrote:
Yousuf Khan wrote:
snip

: Well, I'm fortunate that way, I am still running a Socket A
: Athlon XP system, and I expect that there will be absolutely
: no upgrade path for me, other than a complete system overhaul.
: So I can start off right away with an AM2 system, as necessary.

That's "funny", I am too. Been running an Asus A7V333 with an Athlon XP for
5 years now.

I was there too until last month, had an Socket A Sempron chip on a
Chaintech board (after the original MSI board I had died due to failed
capacitors).

computer to do other tasks while encoding. Anyway, am now thinking about
the following AM2 mobo:

http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?m...2=101& l3=296

Just bought that exact board myself along with an Athlon64 X2 4400+

Why? Simply because it's one of the few I've found so far (socket 775 or
AM2) that still sports TWO IDE channels (ie, to connect four devices) and

That was one of the nice bonus features for me on this board.
Otherwise I would have needed an add-in IDE controller or a
SATA-to-PATA adapter.

also is capable of using ECC memory.

Pretty much all Athlon64/Opteron boards should, one of the nice things
about having the memory controller integrated.

Don't know if this is the best
performance board I can get, but it does have the options I need. I would
definitely like feedback from someone on what they think of the Integrated
GeForce 6 GPU.

Perfectly fine for Windows stuff, 2D work and whatnot. Good picture
quality on my 19" LCD using the built-in DVI connection. Performance
for gaming stinks though, worse than my old ATI Radeon 9200. I plan
on making use of the motherboard's PCI-Express 16x slot in the near
future.
--
Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca