Old November 20th 04, 09:58 AM
Doug Miannay

Thanks everyone for the valuable comments. My choices are clear:

1. Get an SATA to PATA adapter PCI board, or
2. Pick up a new SATA HDD drive (which includes the cable).

I believe choice # 2 is the way to go since a new HDD will increase the
overall storage I have on our home network. The IDE drive I wanted to
install in the new XPS Gen3 can just stay in my older Dimension 8250 since
it's on the network anyway. I really just need a second larger drive in the
XPS so I can get all my data off the primary partition (74GB WD HDD).
Drives are pretty cheap so adding more storage space is the right way to go
here.

Again, thanks for all the responses.

Doug

"Doug Miannay" wrote in message
Quick question... I just purchased a new XPS Gen 3 (3.6) with a single
74GB 10,000 RPM HD. I did not get a second drive since I already have
some large drives here that I planned to add. Problem is since I only
ordered the computer with one drive, the primary IDE cable for the HD only
has a single connector. Is this typical? Can I just pick up a standard
two-connector IDE cable in order to add the second drive?

TIA for your suggestions!

Doug