Old September 22nd 03, 09:10 AM
smh

Default Nero for Multisession discs: How much space is really left forfiles?

DaveJohnson12@nomail. wrote:

I'm using the bundled version of Nero version 5.5.10.9 to make multisession
discs. I see there is a graphical status bar at the bottom of the screen to tell
you how much total space you are using on the disc. It would help if I could get
a number that tells me exactly how much space is left for files when continuing
a multisession disc.

When continuing a 650 MB Multisession disc I clicked on the Disc Info icon and
it told me the available space was 61 MB. I then added 61 MB to the disc and
checked the File-Compilation Info screen.
This showed Total Data To Be Written: 61 MB. Then I checked the status bar at
the bottom of the screen and it and it was over the 650 MB line by what looked
like a lot. It showed the amount I was over by in yellow. Next I deleted a 5 MB
file from the disc. This put the status bar right on the 650 MB line.

What did I do wrong? Is there a better way to know how much space is left?

Burned 613M (compilation) on 656M disc. After the burn Disc_Info says
20M available. Compiled 20M data and the status bar showed yellow bar.
Click the Burn button and Nero went into analyzing disc. Nero then
prompted: "There is not enough space available to burn this compilation
unless the cd is finalized after burning. Do you want Nero to finalize
it after burning?" When selected No, Nero proceeded to burn
successfully! (20M data passed verification) Disc_Info says Total
capacity of 635M with available capacity greyed out.

Checked the cd with CD-R Diagnostic and it says the disc has passed all
checks for replication!

According to the above, go by the available capacity given by Disc_Info
and disregard the yellow bar.

Something's not quite right with available capacity, however.

656M(cd) - 613M(data) =43M
43M - 23M(first session overhead) =20M

So 20M avail cap is not after the second session overhead was accounted
for. Yet the burn was successful despite there was no room for the 14M
second session overhead.