Old April 8th 21, 02:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Default PC occasionally freezing

Larc wrote:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2021 15:54:06 -0500, Rene Lamontagne wrote:

| Can't think of much offhand, but you might try unplugging and reseatting
| all connectors including memory modules, if you haven't already done this.

Thanks, Rene. I've done that partially, but will redo and include connections I
missed.

Larc

Check for VRM overheat.

That's the Google-provided hint.

*******

Once upon a time, in a land far far away, there were VRMs.

This is the VCore voltage regulator. It started as a module,
but was also soldered to the motherboard. That gave it the
name Voltage Regulator Down (VRD), when it was soldered down.
My first one put out a measly 35W, had a single phase, and
used a pretty good sized MOSFET.

Back in the day, there was no feedback. Designers were
worried about thermal runaway. They had to guess at what
max power would be, and add a generous heatsink. This is
basically open loop design.

Then, more recently, power limiters were fitted. At the same
time, you may have noticed the heatsinks are getting smaller
and more poorly designed. The design is now closed loop, and
it's because of feedback about how the VCore is running,
allowed it to run burning hot.

When I bought my latest board, I hadn't noticed this. I didn't
even have it as a particular item to check on my checklist.

It was the usual deal. Burned my finger on the heatsink
when testing the board on the kitchen table. Ended up
turning off turbo, as well as fitting a fan right next
to the VRM cooler.

In the old days, a board would not leave the factory, if
a customer could burn their finger on it. Today, this
seems to be OK.

Some manufacturers, their "auto-overclock" is too aggressive
and they're using the wrong VCore. The user is then forced
to do the research, to figure out what values might better
serve the board.

There is a suggestion that the Kernel Power, is a report
of overheat, arriving at kernel level. Adjusting BIOS conditions
and taking it off "auto/auto" may allow reducing VCore heatsink
below "insanely hot".

Paul