Old March 25th 21, 12:00 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
VanguardLH[_2_]

Default SSD "overprovisioning"

"J. P. Gilliver (John)" wrote:

So how come our colleague is telling us we can change the amount of
"overprovisioning", even using one of many partition managers _other_
that one made by the SSD manufacturer? How does the drive firmware
(or whatever) _know_ that we've given it more to play with?

Static OP: What the factory defines. Fixed. The OS, software, and you
have no access. Not part of usable space.

Dynamic OP: You define unallocated space on the drive. You can shrink a
partition to make more unallocated space, or expand a
partition to make less unallocated space (but might cause
data loss for remaps stored within the dynamic OP). (*)

(*) I've not found info on what happens to remaps stored in the dynamic
OP when the unallocated space is reduced (and the reduction covers
the sectors for the remaps).