Old October 23rd 20, 04:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
bad sector

Default press 4 to unlock core

On 2020-10-22 22:24, VanguardLH wrote:
bad sector wrote:

The keyboard is DURGOD all-usb gaming one ...

https://www.newegg.com/Gaming-Keyboa...ID-198575-3523

That lists several models of Durgod. Since Newegg doesn't show a PS/2
filter for that list, looks like none of them can be moved to a PS/2
port on the computer.

It's a Durgod Taurus k-320 (made in China), and
the reason I got it was that

- my old one broke a support
- I was up to here with num locks being ON by default
so I wanted a keyboard with NO numpad

It's a *good heavy mechanical* keyboard but
something in it makes it slow to be recognised.

As I said it's a problem ONLY in the very early
stages of boot, and

*I just realise now what that means*

...it's slow ONLY before the OS ignores the BIOS
and takes over, but then it's slow to the point of
sometimes being dead.

I bought it at amazon, thing is that living out
in the sticks sending anything back involves
prohibitive shipping costs, nor do I really wanna
get riod of it ALTHOUGH the next one might be
a Ps2, or I might try it with a generic Ps2 adapter?

When the mobo is booted, the CPU gets reset and also sends out a reset
to all the hardware. That is to initialize all hardware to a known good
state. When you cold boot (not warm boot) the computer, do the LEDs on
the keyboard blink to indicate it got the reset signal?

Presumably you have already tried a different USB port.

I've seen the led's flash, and yeh, I tried different usb
ports a trick which BTW works when for example
keys have no effect when a boot menu shows up (that
too is before OS takeover BTW). When that happens I
can change port or just reseat in the same port for
it to get picked up. Problem is I cannot do that fast
enough to get 'Del' in for a BIOS edit

cheap USB-only keyboard: no problem.
gamer USB-only keyboard: problem exists.

Problem resolved. The gamer keyboard is farked.

Well, it _is_ a problem during early boot, the rest
of the problem is still waiting.